The participants of the BC Winter and BC Summer Games are British Columbia’s emerging high performance athletes, coaches, and officials. Each has committed and trained to earn their place at the Games to compete against the very best in the province.
Originally a celebration of sport for all ages, the BC Games have evolved to be an important training ground for the development of young athletes. They are a stepping stone for athletes towards provincial and national teams and ultimately international competition. Coaches and officials also gain valuable experience at the BC Games leading them to expand their knowledge and expertise to take to higher levels of competition.
BC Games alumni have represented BC and Canada at competitions like the Canada Games, World Championships, and the Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Participants earn their place at the BC Games though qualification events and compete at the Games representing of one of eight geographic zones.
- Emerging high performance athletes
- Higher end of Learning to Train or lower end Training to Train of each sport's Athlete/Player Development
- Age range 9-18 years depending on the sport
- Average age of 14.5
- Athletes with a disability included in select sports
- Certified Competition Introduction or sport's NCCP Level 2 equivalent
- Trained and certified in sport officiating at the Games