Governance of the BC Games Society Board
The BC Games Society is a Crown Agency and is incorporated under the Societies Act. Responsible to Minister of Tourism, Arts, Culture and Sport, the mission statement of the Society is:
|The BC Games Society is the leadership organization that guides the BC Winter and BC Summer Games and prepares Team BC for national multi-sport Games. We build on the expertise and support of partners to create development opportunities for athletes, coaches, officials, volunteers, and communities.|
Board Composition and Succession
The Board of Directors of the BC Games Society is community based and geographically representative of the province. A maximum of fifteen members are appointed by Ministerial Order. The Board includes a position for a representative from the Sport Branch of the Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture.
The Board of Directors of the BC Games Society:
- Is committed to diversity in the administration, policies, programs, and activities of the Society.
- Reviews, on an annual basis, overall BC Games Society budgets, policies, and financial and operating reports.
- Reviews and approves all BC Games Society contracts, including corporate partner contracts, financial agreements between the Provincial Government and host communities.
- Determines the Core Sport Criteria that is used to qualify sports for each BC Winter and BC Summer Games.
- Reviews the bid applications procedure, reviews incoming bid applications, and in cooperation with the President and CEO, recommends to the Minister of Tourism, Arts, Culture and Sport a final site selection.
Meetings of the Board
The BC Games Society Board of Directors meets three times per year, generally in February, May, and October. The Board of Directors receive no remuneration for their Board or Committee work. Review the Board remuneration disclosure or to see meeting attendance records.
Committees of the Board
The Committees of the Board are:
- Marketing and Communications
- Board of Directors
- Government Reports
- Mandate of the Audit Committee
- President and CEO Terms of Employment